E-1: Professor Visa

This visa is for individuals who wish to give lectures or conduct a special study at a college or a university in Korea.


  • You are eligible to apply for a E-1 visa if:
  • You are a professor at an educational institute such as the KAIST

  • You are a full-time lecturer at an education institute such as a junior college or higher

  • You are a research professor in a special field at a university or a university research lab

Documents Required

  • Valid Passport
  • Application form
  • Certificate of Career
  • Copy of Certificate of Degree (must bring original to prove the copy’s authenticity)
  • Certificate of Employment or Confirmation of Expected Employment
  • Agreement of Exchange & a Warrant of Detachment (if there is an agreement of exchange professorship between concerned universities/colleges)
  • Copy of Business Registration of education institute
  • Letter of Recommendation from the Minister of Science and Technology for the high-quality human resources of science (if applicable)
  • Application Fee

If you already have a certificate of visa issuance or certification no. of visa issuance, you only need to submit the passport, application of visa issuance, and a certificate of visa issuance or certification No. of visa issuance. Charges are not applicable if applying for a certificate of recognition of visa issuance.

* Also, please remember that the visa is issued at the discretion of the head of diplomatic mission abroad and depending on individual circumstances, you may be required to provide other supplementary documents in order to examine genuineness of the invitation, purpose of entry, and qualifications of the inviter and the invitee.

Maximum Length Of Stay

You can stay for up to 5 years.

Change or Addition Of Workplace

If you wish to engage in temporary speech, lecture or research related to the major field at another university, you are not required to report change/addition of workplace.

However, if you are changing your workplace you need to report in person at your nearest local immigration office.

Documents Required

  • A declaration form of change or addition of workplace
  • Valid passport
  • Alien Registration Card
  • Business registration certificate
  • A letter of consent or a letter of release from the employer of your original workplace
  • An employment contract

A letter of consent from the employer of your original workplace is not required if
you have worked until the expiry date of the contract or until the date set by you and your employer.

Extension Of Stay

E-1 visa holders, who wish to continue their lecturing or study activities beyond their valid visa period are required to apply for visa extension.

Required Documents For Extension

  1. Application form
  2. Valid Passport
  3. Alien Registration Card
  4. Employment contract
  5. Application Fee

Re-Entry Permit And Alien Registration Card

Individuals on E-1 visa are exempted from re-entry permit if they plan to return to Korea within 1 year from the departure date or If less than 1 year is left in the period of sojourn.

Since E-1 visa is valid for more than 90 days, you must apply for an Alien Registration Card at your local Immigration Office within 90 days of your arrival.

For further information regarding the change of status, visa confirmation issuance or any other questions related to E-1 visa please visit the Korean immigration website: www.hikorea.go.kr or call immigration helpline at 1345.

Leave a Reply