Professor Visa, E-1

If you’re looking to teach in Korea, as a professor. The E-1 Professor visa, is the visa you will need to obtain. The visa is meant for those, wanting to teach at a university. The visa is similar to the E-2 Foreign Language Instructor visa, though you are able to teach other subjects other than just a foreign language.

After you have found your university where you will become a professor at, you can start the visa application process.


Before you are able to go to your local embassy or consulate to apply, you will have to get a visa issuance number. To get the visa issuance number, you will have to send some documents to your new employer, who will then apply for a visa issuance number.

  • Passport
  • Application for Visa Issuance or Application for Recognition of Visa Issuance
  • Certificate of Career
  • Copy of Certificate of Degree (must bring original to prove the copy’s authenticity)
  • Certificate of Employment or Confirmation of Expected Employment
  • Agreement of Exchange & a Warrant of Detachment (if there is an agreement of exchange professorship between concerned universities/colleges)
  • Copy of Business Registration of education institute
  • Fee (single-entry visa: USD 50, multiple-entry visa:USD 80)


Once you have gotten your visa, you are able to travel to South Korea. And start your new job, as a professor at a Korean university. But as you arrived, you will have to visit your local immigration office, as you will need to apply for a Alien Registration Card. The Alien registration card, is your Korean id card, which proves that you are staying and working here legally. To apply for it, you will have to bring a few things to the immigration office, you will have to bring the following things:

  • Copy of passport
  • Colour photos (3 cm x 4 cm)
  • Fee (10,000 KRW)
  • Application form (Can be printed, or you can obtain it at the immigration office)


After you have applied for your Alien Registration Card, you will have to wait up to 2 weeks for the card to be issued. Once the card has been issued, you will have to visit the immigration office again. Or it will be send to your address, if you have picked and paid for that service.

When you have received your ARC card, you are able to open a bank account, sign up for a phone contract, sign a lease, and other general things.

Leave a Reply